Ourimbah Cricket Club

History of Ourimbah Cricket Club





The following reminiscences were printed in the Wyong Advocate in 1922 and reprinted in the Gosford Times on January 26, 1928:

“The first cricket club was started in 1858 by Lyall Scott at Ourimbah, the bat was made from blue gum and ironbark, and the ball from gutta percha pipes. There are only three men now living who were members of the original club, viz., G. Taylor, J. Buscombe and J. Robley; and George Spears is the only man now living that was a member of the opposing team. The first match was between Ourimbah and Gosford in Harrison’s Paddock, and Gosford won by three wickets. The next match between the same teams was played at Frog Hollow, Gosford again winning. When Ourimbah met Gosford again on the same ground they defeated Gosford by several wickets. The games were generally played for the dinner. The reason all games were played at Gosford was on account of no suitable ground at Ourimbah. On the evening of each match dancing was indulged in and continued until the small hours of the morning after sunrise. The trip to Ourimbah was made on foot, but players were unaccompanied by their sweethearts, as like the sailor, they had one in every town they visited.”

These men were among the earliest cricketers on the Central Coast and were playing for Blue Gum Flat or Ourimbah as it is now called.  From left Edward Hawkins, Robert Izzard, John Robley, James Buscombe.